Agile Group is the Research Group on Software Engineering at the University of Cagliari.
It is named after the fact that it has been the first university group to study Agile Software Development Methodologies, since 1998. The Agile Group organized on May, 2000, the first international conference on “Agile Processes and eXtreme Programming in Software Engineering”, known as “XP2000”. This conference, now called “International Conference on Agile Software Development”, held its 18th edition in 2017; it is the leading international scientific conference on Agile Methodologies.
The main research fields of Agile Group are:
- Agile and Lean Methodologies for software development
- Study of cryptocurrencies, study of Blockchain, Smart Contracts and their applications — Blockchain-Oriented Software Engineering (BOSE)
- Software Product and Process Metrics
- Open source software, object-oriented frameworks for software development
- Heterogeneous agent modeling and simulation of financial and economic systems
- Knowledge Management and Semantic Web
Major Achievements of Agile Group:
- First university research group to study Agile Methodologies — organizer of the first and most important scientific conference on the subject.
- Pioneer of Econophysics Studies. The paper ‘Scaling and criticality in a stochastic multi-agent model of a financial market’ by T Lux and M Marchesi, Nature vol. 397, 1999 is considered the most influential paper on the subject, according to a quantitative analysis of the citations made in: Yan-Bo Zhou et al. New J. Phys. vol.14, 2012.
- Pioneer of the application of advanced statistical mechanics techniques to software metrics. The paper “Power-Laws in a Large Object-Oriented Software System ”, by Giulio Concas, Michele Marchesi, Sandro Pinna, and Nicola Serra, IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, vol. 33, 2007, was the first work on the topic published on a leading software engineering journal.
- Founder and organizer in 2010 of the Workshop on Emerging Trends in Software Metrics (WETSoM), Int. Conf. On Software Engineering (ICSE). WETSoM workshop was held from 2010 to 2017.
- Among the first non-cryptographic research groups working on cryptocurrencies and Blockchain, since 2014. We authored various papers on international journals and conferences on this subject.
- We are the proposers of “Blockchain-Oriented Software Engineering” (BOSE): the study of the application of software engineering principles to blockchain application development. The first World Workshop on the subject is the 1st International Workshop on Blockchain Oriented Software Engineering, SANER event, IEEE International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution and Reengineering, University of Molise, Campobasso, Italy, March 20-23, 2018.